Monday, April 19, 2010

Stuck in Germany!


You'd think an unplanned, several-day-and-no-end-in-sight "vacation" in Berlin would afford plenty of time for literary pursuits. Unfortunately, between spending hours on the phone with the airline trying to rebook my flights about three times, and exploring this beautiful, lively city, I've had almost no time to read. But I did find a German book store or two, and spent some time browsing. If your German ain't great, that book is David Foster Wallace's Brief Interviews With Hideous Men.

I have a flight out of Berlin through London scheduled for Wednesday, so please send out some positive thoughts about ash clouds dissipating and planes flying safely. Prost!

7 comments:

  1. That title is sure catchy, thanks for interpreting. I hope the ash clears soon and you can get moving. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard on the news that the flights should be going thru now,so hopefully you'll be back home soon,Greg. On the bright side,at least you got to do some international browsing:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once you do get to the airport, people watching opportunities will abound. Between book pages you could collect enough close observations of human behavior to write your own version of War and Peace. Suggested title: Under a Cloud of Ash. Sounds suitably portentous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great book find in Germany. Good luck getting home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having just finished Brief Interviews..., I must say it's worth the read. But in German.. yipes. Many in my book group found it taxing to read in English. It'd be interesting to see how a translator handles certain things, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh if I had to be stuck somewhere I would want it to be in Germany. The people are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for the well wishes. I really have enjoyed my time here. But I'm also ready to go home - which I'm scheduled to do tomorrow (April 23). Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete